[buddypress-dev] Re-activation

Chris Taylor - stillbreathing.co.uk mrwiblog at gmail.com
Wed May 6 21:41:56 GMT 2009

Hi,

Good to see this back in use. Well done on reaching version 1, Andy.

I'd love to see easier integration of bbPress, in fact I've only
successfully got it to share cookie with a WPMU installation once -
and I'm not sure how I did that. Every other time has failed. A
click-once integration would be fantastic, not just for BuddyPress,
but for WPMU generally.

Regarding themes, it may be an idea to make it even easier for people
to integrate BP with their existing WPMU installs though the use of
BP-specific template tags. You may have this already, but something
like bp_users_online() that spits out HTML with user icons. Or
bp_latest_groups(), which is pretty obvious what that does. That way
people don't have to recode their WPMU themes using the BP skeleton
theme (as I am currently doing for http://beatsbase.com).

The problem then is the members profile page, groups page etc. Perhaps
some larger-scale template tags could be created which output standard
HTML layouts for those features. Again, that's so people just have to
add in one line of code where they want the stuff to be. It may be
tricky to make that work, but I do think saying to existing WPMU
webmasters "just drop these plugins into a directory, then add one
line of code for groups, member profiles and other stuff" would be
really powerful.

I'll no doubt have more ideas when I get BP up and running on a live site.

By the way, I'm working on a few plugins for WPMU at the moment
including a statistics system, secure invites (already released:
http://wpmudev.org/project/secure-invitations), events, a newsletter
system for each blog, and most usefully for MU developers a plugin
that will automatically create demo users and blogs based on some
parameters.

Chris