[buddypress-dev] JIT Inclusions

Austin Matzko if.website at gmail.com
Tue May 5 14:20:36 GMT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Andy Peatling
<andypeatling at automattic.com> wrote:
> Each component needs to set up its own environment. It needs its own
> template tags, filters, DB access classes and so on. As it stands in
> BuddyPress, each component loads these in as soon as the component is
> initialized. When you multiply this by 8 components, you're loading a lot of
> code into memory on each page load. This means BuddyPress has a fairly large
> memory footprint, even if you're doing nothing.
>
> What I think needs to happen is this JIT idea, where a file that contains
> code that is needed for a function is only included right before it is
> *actually* needed.

I'm skeptical that this would be of any performance benefit on the
kind of server most likely to host BuddyPress: something with opcode
caching and a decent amount of memory. Especially with a good number
of users, in which case the net result will be the same of loading all
the components into memory, but a result the server arrives at less
efficiently.