[buddypress-dev] DJSteve's initial BP observations

Steve Bryan djsteve007 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 00:22:53 GMT 2009

I tried posting in the buddypress forums today, but got on error:

Topic not found.
	Back to BuddyPress Forums.
(from http://buddypress.org/forums/forum.php?id=5#postform )
So I guess I'll post here in case anyone is reading this list still...
Buddypress - first thoughts

It's running - and there are lots of goodies that are impressing me - thanks everyone!
I had a headache install issue with a fresh install of MU 2.7 and the buddypress beta (rc something? How do I figure out which version I'm running) but that is fixed and it is working, Awesome!

My first thoughts, there is no link for pics, or photo albums for each profile. A link to pictures and or video albums are a necessity for people using social networks. I don't see anyone using it much or taking it seriously without phot album support.
I have no idea how to best implement this, a page that shows albums would be cool I guess. Wordpress has a great upload pictures feature, just how to incorporate this into BP and profiles and such, and to have a page that lists albums with links to subpages that actually have the albums.

Groups should have the ability to post links and pictures. No need for the entire kitchen sink, but I think that an easy way to add a link into a group post, no one will use them. Adding/ uploading a picture would be nice, and I'm not sure if embedding videos from you tube and such is feasible or necessary.
Perhaps the plugin for group blogs that I saw in the forums would take care of this issue, maybe not. http://buddypress.org/forums/topic.php?id=660

When I used the search box to search for words in a blog post it comes up with no results, apparently this is only searching blog titles? Is this the way it is meant to work?

How do I change the default theme for users to have as their blog?

When a user logs in, how do we redirect them to their profile instead of the wordpress blog dashboard? Which of these ways should I look at:
http://buddypress.org/forums/topic.php?id=455#post-1941
http://buddypress.org/forums/topic.php?id=533#post-2357
http://buddypress.org/forums/topic.php?id=1095#post-5086

using a blog theme from the wpmu dev pack,for the user's blog, when I click the post author within the post, it takes me to an author page,which is cool, but I was hoping it would take me to the user's BP profile.
Maybe the BP codex will be more complete and I can find a way to change template tags and such to change this behavior.

Thanks BTW for adding some info to the codex, when there is a bit more details for the usage of these tags I will finally be able to start coding some templates.

On the about me section of a profile, I had a line that ended with an explanation mark and carriage return, this is causing BP to link the first line, and first word in the next line as one search link.
eg =
I love mustangs!
trucks, vans, cars
causing a link to be created like: http://mywebspace.com/members/?s=I%20love%20mustangs!%3Cbr%20/%3Etrucks

I have another BP installed on another domain, with MU 2.6.5 (I think it is) and I had a spammer, so I marked his account a spam in the 2.6.5 backend, which took hi profile off the front page, and made his blog a "archived or suspended" blog, but his blog post still shows on the from page in sitewide activity.
not sure if this has been noticed or already fixed apologies if it has been.

facebook connect, openid, myspace is using openAuth are we?
http://buddypress.org/forums/topic.php?id=848#post-3984

Is there an easy way to keep people's posts and activity from showing on front page? I haven't messed with marking people as adult or mature, would that allow them to blog and stuff yet keep them off the front page, and is that a plugin for MU or standard these days?
or perhaps a way to set a small group of people that can show up on front page?

All in all, I'm loving it and looking forward to the future enhancements!