[buddypress-dev] Updates

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Wed Sep 3 20:50:18 GMT 2008

Since it's been a little while since I've checked anything in, I
thought I'd update everyone on what I've personally been working on
for the past couple of weeks.

There has been a fair amount of talk about how BuddyPress will support
existing blog network installations, as well as new installs. My
primary focus for the past two weeks has been on introducing proper
support for existing blog networks.

Here's what I've done:

Every user of an existing install (whether they have a blog or not)
will need to sign up for a "Home Base". This is essentially a blog,
but *without* any blogging features at all. Current members will see a
"Create Home Base" tab in their admin area once BuddyPress is
installed, where they can follow simple steps to create a home base.
Once they have created a home base, the tab will disappear.

The default BuddyPress theme will be used for all home bases, where as
any blog theme can be used for any other blogs. The home base
represents the user as a person, and will contain all of their
BuddyPress data (profile, messages .. ). The admin area for the home
base will contain tabs for profile, messages, groups, friends and so
on. No blog tabs. One home base to one user.

Of course, custom BuddyPress enabled themes could be used for user's
home base. It may even be possible to let users select from BuddyPress
enabled themes for their home base in the future. The plan is to make
it easy to "BuddyPress enable" existing WordPress themes.

No blogging features on the home base means no blog in the default
BuddyPress theme. This has all been removed. However, in its place is
a "Blogs" menu item. This contains 3 sub items:

  - My Blogs - which lists every blog you have privileges for in the
network.
  - Recent Posts - Lists the last 10 posts you have made across any
blog in the network
  - Recent Comments - Lists the last 25 comments you have made across
any blog in the network

Now, for new installations this means users are first signing up for a
home base rather than a blog. They would then create their first blog
once their account and home base is activated and set up.

Interestingly - this gives site administrators the option to
completely leave out blogging functionality from their BuddyPress
installation if they wish.

I have created a new component "bp-blogs" that will eventually provide
the ability to enable/disable blogging functionality. At the moment it
is tracking and recording posts, comments, and blogs for users across
an installation.

Also:

I have included an "admin bar" that will persist across the top of all
screens in a BuddyPress enabled install. The bar is almost identical
to the one you see on WordPress.com. The menu includes quick drop down
links to BuddyPress component functionality, and very soon quick links
to blog author profiles/friends/groups etc when viewing a blog.

If some or all of the above doesn't make any sense, it will once you
see the new functionality working. By making the user assign
themselves a home base, the problem of "blog centric vs user centric"
should be eliminated.

Cheers,
Andy

---------
Andy Peatling | Social Engineer | Automattic
http://apeatling.wordpress.com