[buddypress-dev] Posting to large group with Notify members by email

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Wed Nov 5 23:29:06 GMT 2008

On 5-Nov-08, at 8:32 PM, phlux0r wrote:
> I just posted on the Buddypress Testers group and ticked the box to
> notify all members and it took ages... I know it says it slows down
> posting but I think the way to go with this is to do the
> notifications in the background as you'd probably hit the max
> execution time for scripts at some point for really large groups...

We've been chatting in #buddypress about this - I think the way to go
would be to cron the email sending for X number of seconds after the
wire message is posted. That way the user can continue to browse the
site while the notifications are being sent.

Right now the emails have to all be sent before a success message is
returned - no good for groups bigger than 100.

I've not used wp-cron before - does anyone know of good tutorials/
resources?

---------
Andy Peatling | Social Engineer | Automattic
http://apeatling.wordpress.com