[buddypress-dev] Re: 'Friend' or 'Fan'?

Ponara ponara at gmail.com
Sat May 24 19:03:53 GMT 2008

I'd like to suggest that with news/publication type blog networks, e.g.
HuffingtonPost, you're not interested in friendships as much as tracking a
particular author/blogger's latest articles.  In their set up, (which uses
MT), you are a 'fan' of a blogger, and can therefore keep up to date on his
latest posts.

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Bryan Phelps <bryanphelps at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Great fix...can't wait to check it out.
>
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Andy Peatling <
> andypeatling at automattic.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19-May-08, at 5:55 PM, Andy Peatling wrote:
>>
>>  @ Anday
>>>
>>>  "*It should render the details for the blog owner. Basically, the ID for

>>> Hmm, I'm sure this was not the case on my installation. We will need to
>>> find a way to work around / address this if the above is correct.
>>>

>> We have found a workaround to this (actually Matt did) that will fix the
>> issues with blog owners and profiles. Instead of invoking the $authordata
>> variable and using that to render the profile, we are matching the blog
>> domain/path to the user.
>>
>> So, if you visit "andy.buddypress.org" it will take the "andy" part and
>> display the profile for the user "andy". That way, only the profile for the
>> user that signed up with this blog will be shown. You can still assign new
>> administrators/contributors/authors etc etc, but the owners profile will
>> only ever show.
>>
>> I've made this change and it seems to be working well for both subdomains
>> and subfolders. It should also in theory fix the problems people have been
>> having with links, pages and categories.
>>
>> I will be checking this in shortly, and hoping to tag a v0.2 of the
>> extended profile component ASAP. We still have a bunch of bugs to fix with
>> some new feature additions.
>>
>> ---------
>> Andy Peatling | Social Engineer | Automattic
>> http://andyinlife.com

Ponara Steven Eng