[buddypress-dev] Push the Envelope

Justin Ball justinball at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 16:17:05 GMT 2008

I am an OpenID advocate.  I would love for my users to be able to
login to any of the systems using a single sign on.  However, having
said that OpenID is still a hard concept for every day users to grok.
I used it in a couple of my applications and watched as my users tried
to login with their username instead of their OpenID url.  Using a url
as a username is still a tough concept to understand.  We might be
able to overcome this problem if Wordpress MU could be an OpenID
provider.  Then you could let users login with just a username and
assume the domain part is the domain in use on the website.  Users
that already have an OpenID would be savy enough to login with their
existing account.  One nice trick would be to integrate various
applications - Wordpress, Joomla, Media Wiki, etc - so that you if you
sign into one via OpenID or other method you are logged into all of
them.  It can become tedious and confusing to a user to have to keep
logging in all the time.

Justin