[buddypress-dev] Data Portability and Microformats

Cass Edwards cass at wildilocks.com
Sun Apr 6 00:18:54 GMT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 4:38 AM, Andy Peatling <andypeatling at automattic.com>
wrote:

> When I first started developing BuddyPress I approached it like a
> Facebook-style mentality. All users would have the same theme and wouldn't
> be able to change this. My thoughts and opinions on this are changing now,
> having talked more to the community, and seen the potential to make
> something different from the norm.

I'm glad this is being discussed further. WordPress attracts users that are
generally more tech-savvy than social networks like Facebook, so I think by
aiming for a Facebook-like product a lot of potential BuddyPress admins and
end users may be turned off.

If there was a social network which BuddyPress should be aiming to emulate,
I'd definitely pick LiveJournal - blogs on LJ have much more customisation
options, already in many ways similar to WordPress.  So, once the BuddyPress
core is completed, next step is for different installations to share data,
then I hope, solo WordPress installs can come to the party too? The last
step I see great potential for growth, as many WP users want SN
functionality, but want to maintain complete control over their blog. As far
as I know there are no plugins existing or in development to make solo WP
blogs SN-connected - which is why I found BuddyPress, as I was looking for a
solo WP solution initially.

Cass