[buddypress-dev] Data Portability and Microformats

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Thu Apr 3 21:53:23 GMT 2008

On 2-Apr-08, at 9:19 PM, Joseph Scott wrote:

> In my ideal world I'd be able to manage all of my profile/social
> data in WordPress with fine grained control over who can do what
> with the data.  Similar to the way the Flickr application
> authorization works, it would be nice to have LinkedIn (just one
> example) contact my blog asking for data.  I can then approve it and
> specifically list what data it can read and write.  Instead of
> polling for new data, LinkedIn would be able to push updates (that
> I've authorized) back to my blog.
>

> And there's no reason why this would need to be a one way thing.  If
> I change something in my profile that I've granted LinkedIn read
> access to, no reason why I shouldn't just push that data out to
> LinkedIn.

Joseph, excellent ideas, this really takes things a step further. One
issue right now is that there is no solid standard for sharing profile
data between networks. We'd need to create a new standard for sharing
(hProfile?).

My biggest concern is making sure the process is easy for the average
user, without confusing them. The idea that data can be fetched from
and updated in other places is a foreign one to most.

I was just chatting with Chris Taylor, his idea was to approach it in
a step by step way:

1. "Do you have a profile on another site? Just type your profile
address in below and we'll try to get your details..."

2. If yes: "Great! We found your profile details on <site name>. Would
you like to make your details there the same as here?"

3. Give more advanced users the option to provide a list of sites that
they would like updated, or to fetch profile data from.

Of course the same could be done for connections, photos, status
updates, etc.. but one step at a time. :)

> This doesn't have to be limited to traditional profile data either.
> The social graph data could also be passed back and forth.  If
> someone who only uses LinkedIn makes a contact request in LinkedIn
> and I approve it, that "relationship" could be pushed back to my
> blog (assuming I allowed LinkedIn to do that).

Definitely. What if this relationship was pushed between all of your
networks? If you connect with someone on one network who also exists
on another network you are part of, you could be presented with the
option of adding them there too.

> Fine grained access settings is a major feature here.  I might want
> to share my mobile phone number with Bob, but not LinkedIn.

Fine grained access settings are crucial, especially when you're
pushing personal data around.

Andy