[buddypress-dev] Re: buddypress-dev Digest, Vol 1, Issue 9 - portability, privacy

Steve Bryan djsteve007 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 09:07:52 GMT 2008

To everyone working on this project...
THANK YOU!

I have several mockups on a drawing board for ways to present wordpress as a social network, I am so glad that this is being developed with Automattic behind it!

A few thoughts..

I like the idea of being able to use gravatar images, but Iwould like for it to not be dependant upon gravatars, same with other services like twitter. It would be great if someone could do a plug in that could strip and populate information from a facebook / myspace page - perhaps main profile pic and basic info like city and such.. This would certainly get people to use it, and take ownership of it. I know someone had tried to create a plug in for phpfox that would strip an entire layout from myspace - backgrounds, constant tables, color schemes, etc. Not sure how feasible that it, but it would definitely be a major selling to a lot of users.

I think data portability should be a top priority, thank you Andy for taking this into consideration right off the bat! I also think privacy settings should be adjustable for everything, and some people may want to have a public photo section, a friends photo section, a family photo section, etc. Same with blogs, I'd like to see  the ability to make sub pages just for friends and other sub pages just for family.

Search is something we need to consider as well, it would be great to search all of your groups and friends to see who is playing the same game or whatever, but at the same time I may want to have my list if games searchable by my friends, but maybe keep my list of games or books or whatever out of the global search for the whole site / or public. Not sure if this has already been considered.

I look forward to hacking some themes out with various layouts in mind, will the buddypress template have comments in it stating something like "this will be a template tag, using the code here for now" kind of thing? If so I will jump right in, if not I look forward to some documentation coming together with template tags and possible modifications thereof.

Thanks so much everyone, I will contribute what I can...

DJ Steve
weblog.globaladvancedmedia.com
Nashville, TN - USA

PS Joseph - some good points there, I hope you will post those thoughts on a blog and not let them just get lost in this mailing list - I hope the whole internet gets on the data portability band wagon.