[buddypress-dev] Data Portability and Microformats

Justin Ball justinball at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 05:13:13 GMT 2008

I agree with you Joseph.  Many of the larger social silos tend to
treat your blog as just another feed for their system.  Instead your
blog should be the heart of your social network and your online
identity.  In addition, I think that users are getting sick of
recreating a new profile every time they join a new site.  I think
there is an amazing opportunity here for Wordpress to provide this
functionality.

Currently there are a few plugins that enable lifestreaming:
http://elliottback.com/wp/archives/2006/12/14/lifestream-wp-plugin-for-wordpress/
http://kierandelaney.net/blog/projects/simplelife/
http://rick.jinlabs.com/code/rss-stream/
I think these plugins provide excellent examples of how your blog
might serve as the heart of your online identity.

The next step would be to provide distributed Friend functionality.
Currently, we can use FOAF or XFN to distribute a blog roll.  It would
be really cool if your blog could have a 'friend request' button.
Pressing that would ask for the requestor's blog url (which is an
OpenID) which would then initiate an exchange that would allow the
friend request to be approved and then a relationship to be
established.   Those relationships could then be added to your blog
roll and then used to manage permissions.  Imagine being able to post
to your  blog and only allow friends with a given relationship the
right to see the post.  This would also lead to friendfeed like
functionality.  You would be able to see the activities of your
friends and perhaps even add it to a public page on your blog.  Your
blog would of course respect your friend's privacy settings.  The next
interesting addition would be the ability to make comments on anything
coming through that stream.  Their comments would then be distributed
back out so that friends could engage in an interesting, distributed
conversation based on any data they are generating in Flickr,
delicious, twitter, etc.  It would be nice if your blog could parse
Microformat encoded data embedded in your and your friend's feeds and
then distribute that back out as ical for your calendar and add the
data to your contact lists.

I wrote a couple of posts on this topic:
http://www.justinball.com/2008/03/04/note-to-facebook-myspace-and-other-social-silos-die/
http://www.justinball.com/2008/03/06/social-wordpress/

BuddyPress means there will be a truly open source social platform and
since Wordpress is so popular BuddyPress has a great users base to
build on.  This will allow thousands of niche networks to develop.  It
would be really cool if when joining a BuddyPress based community
instead of getting a new blog you could optionally use your existing
blog as your profile.  (It would still be important for users to be
able to sign up without a blog and get a profile on the site.)  If the
community site requires extra metadata it could request it from the
blog and the user could provide it - from within their blog.  Then if
they need to update the data they only need to update it in their
blog.  The BuddyPress community site could also request access to the
user's larger set of data - from flickr, delicious, etc.

I would love to see the BuddyPress ecosystem include a  plugin for
individual blogs that let's an individual user easily create groups
and invite their friends to join:
http://www.justinball.com/2008/03/05/disposable-communities/
http://www.justinball.com/2008/03/05/connected-communities/

Sorry to be long winded.  I think that Wordpress stands to really
change the social networking / community software space.  BuddyPress
is an exciting development.

Justin